Sunday 22 September 2024

15mm Tyranids

 

Inspired by the newly released (and excellent) Space Marine 2, I thought I might try an idea for a Tyranid 15mm army for Gruntz. Whilst still beavering away at my main painting project, I thought a quick trip back into 15mm sci-fi would be a nice mental break.

The wee little beasties here are Pendraken and the larger one is from Khurasan.


I intend to use these for Gruntz and so this was a test for both colour scheme and mounting.


My thought here is that the smaller Pendraken miniatures, which are at 10mm scale, could be grouped into swarms of critters on single bases. Ploughing through hordes of hormagaunt tyranids in Space Marine 2 made me wonder how this would best be represented on the table in 15mm, my go-to for large scale sci-fi battles.

The bases here a 40mm Renedra bases and there is a mixture of about five smallest Pendraken alien critters with two larger ones thrown in. Seeing these running at you, even in 15mm, would make you think twice before either grabbing the fly spray or your boltgun.



This is the Khurasan Space Demon Queen, which looks like a good proxy for a Tyranid Hive Tyrant so she got the typical tyranid paint job to see how it would turn out. She is also mounted on a 40mm base.






I like how these have turned out. So, I'm going to do more. Always good to have a quick side project whilst you are waiting for the paint to dry on the main project.