Where has all the Warhammer 40k players gone?
I've noticed a trend at MOAB the last few years and it's been reflected in the mid-year ShireCon event as well. Warhammer 40K used to dominate the table space every convention. However, I noticed its footprint decrease over the last few years. Now, at this latest MOAB, its nowhere to be seen.
What am I missing here? I don't play 11th Edition. I stick to 3rd Edition as its still slightly gonzo (not as wonderfully gonzo as 2nd Edition however). I also play it in 15mm scale for that more epic feel.
I know 11th Edition is now more designed to be a tournament game rather than a fun wargame played with mates over the home gaming table. But to be non-existent at MOAB. What happened?
The Bring-n-Buy has always been packed with 40k models and they sell very well. So, I don't think the game has died. It's just no longer appearing at MOAB and perhaps 11th Edition isn't what players are gravitating too.
Warhammer 40k tournaments aren't even listed at MOAB this year.
So, what happened?
No painting competition
Sadly, there was no painting competition at MOAB this year. There is usually one with the finalists displayed in the glass case for all to marvel upon. But nothing this year. So that's a bummer. Some truly excellent paint work has been on display in previous years.
Rise of the Other Games
I noticed more of a presence of games like Warmaster, Turnip28, Bloodbowl, The 9th Age, Warhammer Fantasy 8th Edition, etc. What once was dominated by Age of Sigmar and Warhammer 40k is now taken over by Flames of War, Chain of Command and older GW games. That's a lot more choice and very welcome to see in my opinion.
Anyway, just an observation from a MOAB attendee.
