Sunday, 11 October 2026

Pirate Borg - The Quest to activate The Heart of the Sea

 

Over the October long weekend, I managed to get to play a lot of games. The rest of the family were away and that left me free to game. With MOAB over that weekend, much rest and gaming was had.

Added to this the fact that the lads were finally able to come over that Sunday afternoon and we played a marathon 7.5hr roleplaying session. Fortunately, none of us had to work on Monday. Below are some highlights from the session.

The other wonderful thing was that I got to play my character and one of the other lads was the GM this game. My class was The Zealot. And I chose to be a Priest of the One True God. Seemed funny to me to be a Haunted Soul Skeleton Pirate and yet also a Priest. Hey everyone, including pirates, needs salvation, right?

I put my predicament down to having drunk too much alter wine in life (and occasionally helping myself to the church coffers) as being why I find myself needing redemption. Anyway, I digress.


The first combat saw us make landfall on a beach full of bones. As we headed up the sand, we were quickly surrounded by the fast-forming accursed things.

This should have been an easy fight. But we kept rolling very badly and the Skeletons incredibly well. I think I must have missed eight rolls to hit in a row. I put that down to my lack of martial training and these "misses" really being me parrying my foes attacks. A few of the guys suffered Fumbles and ended up in a very bad way. And we quickly burnt through all our Luck Dice.

(NOTE: If you don't know what Luck Dice are, they aren't a Pirate Borg mechanic. Look up DM Scotty's Luck Dice. I highly recommend using this, or a modified version of this system like we do.)


After finally vanquishing the foe, we strode on to an abandoned Fort at the base of a ravine. There we were confronted by a series of riddles. This was the first of three key challenges we had to overcome this adventure. 

Once the riddles were solved, we passed on through the ravine behind the fort and were promptly assaulted by drowned zombies. Great! That was another fun fight where a few of us were grabbed and dragged towards an ice-cold stream that ran along the ravine. Icy death awaited there. However, fending off the zombies, we finally liberated our captured comrades and escaped to complete the second challenge of three that we had to accomplish.

The ravine however led to a Labyrinth which we negotiated without too many setbacks. From there we arrived at a castle that rested in a giant cavern and set about our final challenge.


This final challenge saw us face off against four very nasty crabs and The Guardian. This was supposed to be the fight of all fights for the evening. However, after all the adversity from the previous fights, we slaughtered to crabs in short order, much to the surprise of the GM.


But the real part of this last challenge was to take down The Guardian. This dude was a total pain. Lots of hit points and a real pain dealer. We eventually settled on a strategy where I fell back and prayed for healing for the other lads while they remained up close and personal with The Guardian. This worked well and after much near death we finally brought down the hated foe.

With that, this first adventure came to an end, and we had successfully recovered the McGuffins we needed for the next quest. But that is for a future post.