The Battle of the Trollshaws - Part 1 outlined the setting and specific scenario rules for the battle. This blog covers the first two turns of the battle. The forces meeting in this battle are:
- Carn Dum Warband - 8 units (400 pts)
- Ghostly Legion - 4 units (360 pts) - not starting on the table, must be summoned by the Cargul
- Stone Trolls - 2 units (200 pts)
- Carn Dum Marauders - 2 units (180 pts)
- Wild Wargs - 1 unit (70 pts)
- Warg Chief - Hero (70 pts) - permits +1 to Command checks with Wargs
- Cargul - Leader (100 pts) - who is acting as the General for this battle
- Sharman - Subordinate (90 pts)
- Spearmen - 4 units (180 pts)
- Archers - 2 units (80 pts)
- Rangers - 2 units (100 pts) - have the Ambushers house rule
- Knights - 4 units (440 pts)
- Retainers - 2 units (120 pts)
- Scouts - 1 unit (60 pts)
- General - General (100 pts)
- Lord - Leader (80 pts)
Might house rule
The Might house rule is in effect in this battle. Each leader has a Might value (usually between 1 to 3 points). Might can be used at any time of the game, even in the opposite players turn. Might permits the leader to modify a single die roll by 1 point per point of Might. This can be used to modify command, shooting, spell or combat rolls, thus turning failures into success.
Angmar has the initiative as it is the invading force in this battle. As such, Angmar moves first in Turn 1. As it invades from the north, it also has the "northern" end of the battle field.
With a command of 8, and the presence of a Warg Chief (which grants a +1 to Command checks with Wargs) the Shaman fails miserably by rolling 11!
Rhudaur now gets to have its go starting with its Command phase. No Rhudaur units are within Initiative range. The Lord, with a command of 8, opens Rhudaur's turn by rolling a 7 and moving the brigade of Knights out.
Turn 2 begins with Angmar's Command phase again. The Cargul recognises the threat that now faces the Angmar battle-line. A brigade of Warband now stand isolated out front with Rhudaur's cavalry within striking distance of them this turn. The Cargul looks at the Shaman with menace, he better not screw things up this time!
The Cargul spies Burrow Hill. If it can only get there, it may be able to raise up to four units of Ghostly Warriors. If it can, it will put significant pressure on Rhudaur.