Monday, 19 February 2018

Ral Partha Skeletal Guards for Chaos Wars

The dead of The Silent Legion gather

I'm slowly painting my way through the forces I'm going to use in my first battle using the Chaos Wars rules from Ral Partha / Iron Wind Metals. You can download the rules for free from the Ral Partha website here.

One of the units I finished over the weekend were the Skeletal Guards from the Iron Wind Metals web store (find them here and here).


These lads will be forming the bodyguard of the Lich Lord who is raising The Silent Legion and wreaking havoc across the lands of the north (that's a hint to the background for the battle).

Group shot time, Lads!

These are dam fine mini's. Love the armour and the details. They just look like they mean business and are happy to deliver it too! They are going to make an appearance on the table top for my role playing group as well.

The Lads on a Kings of War movement tray from eBay

I bent some of the shield arms on a few of the mini's in order to give some variety to the look of the troops. It was a simple thing to do but provided a variety to the look of the unit.

Now, to keep raising that legion!

Monday, 12 February 2018

Reaper Miniatures Orc Berserker

I need a new bad guy nemesis for my role playing game group. Someone ominous. Who can, with his very presence on the table top, intimidate the players when they see how pitifully small their character's miniatures are when confronted by his mere presence. Enter stage right...

This dude is also going to lead a band of berserker orcs for both Chaos Wars and Kings of War games. This miniature is a Reaper Miniatures No. 77059 Orc Berserker with Two Handed Sword.

Now to work he and his minions into what will become an on-going saga against the players! Being a Game Master after all is one long struggle against the player characters :)

Sunday, 4 February 2018

Studio Bergstrom's USS Marklin in 3125 scale

The Marklin in squadron with an ADB Hermes DD and a Studio Bergstom/Woomera Shipyards Arrow Class PC

Studio Bergstrom makes some excellent Star Fleet style miniatures. The FED Capricorn Survey vessel would be familiar to many a ST fan. It's similar to (OK, identical) the FASA Marklin Class of star ship from the 4 Years War era.

I recently finished painting up one and so I thought I would share it here.

She's a fine ship and well worth the buying. Solidly built and with lots of good details.

Saturday, 27 January 2018

Goblins with swords

Did somebody say "Goblins"?

These little beasties are Ral Patha / Chaos Wars / Iron Wind Metals Lesser Goblins with Swords. These are the other goblin model of my most cherished miniatures from my youth. Great to see them back in circulation through Iron Wind Metals.

I've based them again so that they can fit the movement tray for my Kings of War / Chaos Wars armies.

Love these blighters!

Sunday, 21 January 2018


I've been bitten by the Goblin bug! So I grabbed out a bunch of my Ral Partha Kickstarter Gobo's by Iron Wind Metals and started painting.

Goblin-imps ready to run away from battle

These little blighters are Goblin-imps (aka lesser goblins with swords).

I decided to base them two miniatures to a 25mm round base. In this way they look more mob like and also for Kings of War a regiment of goblins comprises 20 miniatures. By placing them two to a base I can have a regiment of twenty gobo's on a single movement tray comprising ten 25mm round base slots.

By having them on a movement tray with removable bases, casualties can quickly be assessed without the use of lots of chits or small dice sitting precariously on the movement tray...(and rolling off and confusing everyone as to how many hits that unit took. "Three. No, it was four. No it wasn't, that was the other unit over there. This regiment lost three hits!"). You get the picture.

Love these miniatures. They are two of my favorites from the old Ral Partha range.

I didn't want standard green goblins but goblins of darker skin tones like those described in The Hobbit and The Lord Of The Rings. I intent to pretty much do most of the goblins I'm painting in grey tones but I have used a green wash on some of them to give a grey-green tinge to a few.

Need more of these someday. You can never have too many goblins.

Sunday, 7 January 2018

Studio Bergstrom's Cardassian Keldan cruiser size comparison

Studio Bergstrom's Keldan class miniature

The other day I posted images of Studio Bergstrom's Galor cruiser comparing it to other miniatures on the market. So today I thought I would show Bergstrom's Keldan dreadnought miniature.

As with the Galor miniature the Bergstrom Keldan miniature is a good middle size when compared with the Attack Wing and MicroMachines miniatures.

Attack Wing Keldan (left), Bergstrom Keldan (middle), MicroMachines Keldan (right)

Being of a middle size, this miniature also lends itself to being a light cruiser for my Cardassian fleet. So that's how I plan to use it for A Call To Arms. I haven't drawn up the ship data card as yet. But I'll also post that when I have completed it.

More great miniatures from Studio Bergstrom!

Bergstrom Galor and Keldan miniatures