Saturday 1 August 2020

Hero Forge 2.0, is it worth it?



Like many, I backed the Hero Forge 2.0 Kickstarter back in the day. Recently my free colour mini arrived in the mail, having artfully dodging one contagion delay after another. And so here it is without further ado. Meet my very own version of Jim Darkmagic.


Stupidly I forgot to colour the base and candles before claiming my freebie. But that can be easily fixed.


So what are my thoughts about this, I hear you say fan? Lets see:

The miniature
* Its made from the lower grade, rough grained plastic material than the previous miniatures I have bought through Hero Forge.
* So the miniature is course grain. But this may be fixed on final launch of HF2.0
* There is a lot more customization options for model making in HF2.0.
* There are plenty of options for modern as well as fantasy miniatures.
* There is also a lot of colour options for miniatures as well
* The cost is limited to the single coloured material at this time, which is roughly twice that of the premium material miniatures I have bought before through Hero Forge.

The 'paint job'
* The colour looks pretty washed out when compared to a painted miniature
* Colour definition isn't too clear, especially around the eyes and face
* Fine colours that appear on the miniature in the design screen do not translate very well to the final miniature due to the course grain of the miniature.
* Overall colours are clearly visible but flat compared to a painted miniature that has been washed and highlighted

What would it be good for?
Firstly, this is a brilliant step forward in the 3D printing of miniatures and is excellent to see. That said, its not as good as a painted miniature in my opinion, even with the crappy paint jobs I do.

So what would it be good for? Well, if you are after a miniature or two and don't have the desire, skill or equipment to paint your own, then this be exactly what you are after. This kind of miniature would look good for a board game or the casual role player.


With Jim here, I may just give it a wash and a few highlights to see how it turns out. Or I may get another, unpainted one of higher grained quality and paint it myself as a comparison.