Sunday, 20 September 2026

Rogue Trader era Dreadnaught - a 3d print


I recently experimented with printing a Rogue Trader era Dreadnaught and thought I would show off the result. Once again, this was printed in FDM on my Bambu Lab A1 3d printer using a 0.4" nozzle.

I set the layer to 0.16mm layer height. You can see the layer lines on the model in the photos below. I've since realised that I get much better results on the 0.4" nozzle with a layer height of 0.08mm. Something I expected was too small a scale for a 0.4" nozzle but am pleasantly surprised to discover that it handles easily. So, I plan to make another print of the model to compare between the two.

Here the Dreadnaught is printed for the original 28mm scale. But I plan to use it for my 15mm 40K scale miniatures. I'm thinking of making it an Iron Man rogue AI model that has survived over 20 millennia and comes from the Dark Times of Technology. I have printed more "modern" 40K dreadnaughts for my Space Marines hence why I plan to use this fellow as a rogue AI. It's also going to feature in future adventures for my roleplaying group.


Fort Rust'N Nails is built with Gaslands and 15mm 40K Orks in mind. But ol' Rogie here looks menacingly like he could have some fun at the Orks expense using the Space Marines Dreadnaught profile. I use Warhammer 40K Third Edition rules, by the way.




Love the massive bolters this guy is packing.




The heavy wire here that you can see below the arm and feeding to the back power unit is white string that's about the diameter of a shoelace. I twisted the ends of the string and glued them with Superglue. Once that was set, I glued each end to the attachment points on the model. Once that was set, I covered the remaining string in PVA White Glue and let it set. Once that was dry, it was simply a matter of priming the model and then painting the 'wire' in a Gunbolt metal. He is based on a 40mm round base.


Menacing!