Saturday 1 August 2015

Halo Fleet Battles has landed

I received my copy of Halo Fleet Battles from Spartan Games just last Thursday, but this is the first time I have had to unpack it. So I thought I would share the love :)

 
The box is rather large for what you get inside, but once you open it you will find two smaller boxes and some scenery sheets.


The scenery sheets are reversible. You can see the other side of the sheet in the image below.


These are the two boxes you find inside the main box.


Large boxes for what is inside.


The first box contains the rule book, scenario book, dice, ship data sheets, Fleet Commander sheets, etc, just as you can see below.


A closer look at the rule book and scenario book.


Inside, both books are very nicely set out with full colour images. Looking forward to digging in to these and getting inspired!


Now the most important thing, the fleets themselves. These little beauties come unassembled and unpainted. The flight bases have been designed to mix and match fleet contingents as I understand it. So from game to game, you can mix and match the ships you want to have on each flight stand. Moreover, from what I've read on the game so far mid-game, if ships have been lost on a flight stand, you can amalgamate survivors into a new battle group upon the one stand. This is a novel approach and I like the idea. Have to see how it pans out.

I have added some MicroMachines Cardassian Galor class ships for scale purposes so you can see how big these ships are. Size wise, the Halo ships would fit into the rough same scale, though no doubt purists would disagree.


Initial thoughts? Looks fantastic and Spartan Games intend to release expansions. So it looks like this is going to be a winner!