Wednesday 15 August 2018

Belfalas Carrack

Belfalas Carrack dwarfed by a Corsair cruiser

I have a stack of  ship miniatures from the original GW Mighty Empires board game sitting around in my "to-paint" stuff. Lately my gaming tastes have lent in the naval gaming direction and so I have recently been reading over the Uncharted Seas rule book again from the now defunct Spartan Games.

First squadron under construction

I haven't ever played Uncharted Seas but I really like the rule design from its second iteration. I prefer games that don't get heavily bogged down in rules and thus, rather than spending three hours playing a turn, you can get a game in over an hour or two but have diversity enough to have fun with the game. Moreover, as Uncharted Seas is a game set in a fantasy world it would work well for a Middle-earth or Warhammer Oldworld setting.

First prototype sets sail

Looking at the Might Empires ships it seemed to me that I could paint these as merchant vessels for Uncharted Seas. But as I began to paint them it also occurred to me that they would make great Carrack's for a Middle-earth context, especially for the Gondor navy. So I began experimenting with them. Here's how that's tuned out so far.



Now to come up with some rules for these little blighters!

UPDATE: My lack of medieval naval history has led me astray. This is actually a Cog, not a Carrack. Carracks were a three or four masted ship, whilst a Cog was a single masted vessel. My bad!