Sunday 31 March 2019

Painting Warships

Bismarck ready for its base to be painted

This post summarises how I am currently painting my 1/3000 scale WWII warships.

With the Royal Navy's Hood and Price of Wales done it was time to add some of the opposition. Bizmarck and Prinz Eugen.


First up I base the ships and then add the sand that will later become the wake for the ship. I then basecoat the miniatures in Chaos Black. This helps to shadow the model when painting it.


I then wet brush the model in Administratum Grey. Any paint getting on the base will be painted over later when I paint the water affect.


In painting, I stroke the brush over the model in order to leave the base coat showing through in some recesses.


I then paint the decks in Rakarth Flesh.


Historical colour schemes are then painted on, if they were present on the actual ship.


If a camouflage scheme was also present of the actual ship, I then paint this. Bizmarck, for example, had additional paint added to the bow and stern as well as stripes along the port and starboard.



Prinz Eugen also had a camouflage scheme.


I then paint the anchor chain along the bow deck using Boltgun Metal.


I then paint the model in Agrax Earthshade and await for it to dry.


Once dry, I again use Rakarth Flesh to paint highlights on the model's decks.

With the model finally done, I then paint the base. You can find how I did that here.