Monday 5 August 2019

Otherworld Miniatures Huge Spider no. II

Huuuuuugggggeeeeee!

I recently painted up the excellent Otherworld Miniatures Huge Spider No. II. You can find the beasty here.

Big enough to scare the poop even out of an Orc!

She is an excellent miniature in my opinion. She was a pain to put together, mostly because my SuperGlue didn't! Once it finally did glue (after several legs fell off because said glue didn't...cheap Chinese crap!) the miniature looked suitably impressive to scare the arachnophobes of my RPG group.

Here she is next to a 32mm tall Reaper Miniatures Orc

She was meant for a Boss Fight in our RPG gaming session on the weekend just gone and so I was desperate to finish her off ready to spring her on the Lads as they searched the caverns they were exploring. The Boss Fight ended up being a bit of a once sided affair as the Lads miraculously managed to stun her for two combat rounds and then proceeded to beat the crap out of her with all sorts of pointy things. Damn thing took something like three weeks to glue and paint and it lasted less that 20 minutes on the table during our gaming session. :(

Ooh, webby

Thankfully I had the real boss still up my sleeve. That was a Wraith that gave them some grief and a Boss Fight that lasted close to an hour of playing time. Sweet! They survived though.

A hapless victim's remains adorn the base along with the spider's offspring

The miniature doesn't come with a base and so I bought off eBay a 90mm round base to glue it on. The spider webs on the base are cotton wool pulled thin and then glued by my finger dabbed in PVA glue. I lightly dabbed the wool in areas in order to glue it to the base but left other parts of the wool untouched. This anchored the wool but kept if "fluffy" in other areas.


I used a Reaper Miniatures Spider Swarm and half a Kings of War Skeleton to decorate the base.







She will now join my Chaos Wars and Kings of War armies as a monster for the Goblins. She may still make an appearance in a future role playing session where she may yet get her revenge.