Sunday 1 November 2020

Reaper Miniatures - Cave Spider

 Happy Halloween!

This brute is a Reaper Miniatures Giant Spider. For my younger role playing group I needed to have a cave spider just in case they went to explore a cave system that was behind a secret door in their adventure.

I didn't want to use an existing spider already painted as I wanted something new to spring on them. I then remembered that I had this ugly blighter handing around in my ever growing pile of unpainted mini's and decided that it was high time it made an appearance.

It was a pretty simple painting process. I base coated it in a light grey. Inked it in blue ink then, once it was dry, I dry brushed it in white paint. The eyes are Citadel Chaos Black.

For the webbing, I used both cotton wool and a craft glue that is very stringy (and consequently not useful for anything other than webs, in my view).

I also included a Reaper Miniatures Spider Swarm to represent this beasts spider hatchlings. Unfortunately I over did it with the cotton wool so they aren't too easy to see. That said, they do look like they have just hatched within a big bundle of spider silk.



The rock is a garden pebble that had a flat edge. I wanted the impression of the spider scooting down the cave wall towards to player characters and so wanted this thing descending on the base. 

I also wanted the impression of webbing across the wall and so wanted the pebble as an anchor point for the spiders web.

Now to scare the pants off the player characters by revealing this one.