Sunday 11 April 2021

Mantic Giant - part 1, the preparation

 

I recently purchased one of the Kings of War Giants from Mantic Games. This is for an upcoming D&D adventure called The Waking of Willowby Hall. The giant comes with two options for heads and two options for both left and right arms. Given this, I thought to myself that if I use rare earth magnets, I won't need to cast one lot of head and arm options into the box of shame.

So a lot of fiddling around with magnet gluing (and more than a few choice words that shall not be repeated here amongst polite company) and then a fair bit of green stuffing around, I finally have this lad ready for base coating.

The club proved to be the real problem child here as my magnets aren't strong enough to hold it fully in place. But I do have a cleaver plan (involving more magnets) that I'll see how it turns out. For now though I will have to stick with the sword option on the right arm. Pity. But necessity is the mother of invention, as they say.



I have also included a small magnet on the belt. This is to be used to attach different options for the giants hoard on the body. The Mantic giant comes with option of a dead human to hang from the belt, but I want to find other items I can use also. So this magnet is an important attachment point for the various plunder options that I hope to have available.

You can see that there was a need to do a fair bit of green stuffing around to cover the gaps in the model. In addition, the inclusion of the magnets meant more green stuff. But it wasn't to difficult to do even for an unskilled oaf like me!

I'll keep posting about the progress on this large mini. The castle walls in the background are from Kallistra and are 10mm is scale.