Wednesday 7 April 2021

MDF Borderlands style Shipping Container

 

Our roleplaying group will be taking time between its D&D campaigns to go all space opera with a home brew D20lite version of Traveller. As such, I needed to get some scenery that would fit the vibe of the game and provide cover during combat.


Miniature Scenery make some excellent table cover that is of a Borderlands style. Something I'd like to emulate for our game. Their Shipping Container was just what I was after. But I wasn't too sure how hard it would be to build.


Turns out that building it was pretty straight forward. I bought two however as I wanted to cannibalized one of them to make the ends of the container able to be opened.


I took two of the central struts from the second model and used them on the ends of the container. I then used rare earth magnets to bind the two actual ends to the container but permitting the container to be able to be opened at both ends. This means that it can be used as different cover options during combat.


Making the container wasn't as hard as I feared. The real problem was getting the flipping magnets to stay attached to the MDF. Several times now I have had to re-super glue the damn things back into place. Hopefully they are stuck now and won't pull off.


I'm going to get a few more for table scatter as well as a bunch of other stuff. I can't recommend Miniature Scenery highly enough as their products are excellent and they have detailed instructions on their web site. Still have no idea how to paint this thing though...