Sunday 1 March 2020

Reaper Miniatures Giant Toads

Reaper Miniatures "Bones" line of minis, Giant Toads

Our current role playing adventures are based out of the D&D Saltmarsh setting. In fact, I have transposed the Sword Coast over the Troll Country and Sea of Claws areas just north of Kislev. So the Sword Coast for our campaign is based within the Warhammer Old World. This gives a context for the background for the players and provides opportunities to use adventures from both D&D and Warhammer FRPG.


Being based on the doorstep of a marsh,i.e. the Salt Marsh itself, I have slowly been painting the denizens of that marsh. I showed off recently the Marsh Troll. Today is all about the giant toads that inhabit that marsh.


These blighters are from Reaper Miniatures and painting them was pretty simple.


I began with base coating them in Grey spray. Once dry I then drowned them in Citadel green ink (can't remember its name). Once this was dry, I dry brushed a light grey underneath and a light green across the top of the model.


The tongue and mouth were painted with a maroon/purple colour. The back of the legs I painted with a yellow.


I then based the model with a coarse grain sand. Once that was set, I inked it in a brown wash. When that was dry I dipped the model in Army Painter Soft Tone. This would seal it and also provide a wet sheen over the model in keeping with it being a swamp creature that spends much of its time in the water. Because of this intent I did not use the anti-shine varnish afterwards. I've just kept it as a wet slimy looking model.


The rim of the base was painted in a dark brown last of all. And now they are ready for the table!