Sunday 15 March 2020

S.M.S Blucher in 1:3000 scale

Finished S.M.S Blucher

I recently purchased some really nicely painted 1:3000 scale WWI ships from eBay. You can see one of these below. Sadly it broke off its base and so I'll have to rebase it, but the paintwork, smoke and lines were of such detail that it put my efforts in painting similar to shame.

HMS Princess Royal in 1:3000 scale

Flash shot shows just how detailed the paint scheme is on this beauty. It even has a flag on the end!

Given my previous efforts in painting this scale I was very humbled to be the new owner of these ships. So I decided to attempt a little more effort in the way of details on painting my next ship. The first such example in this effort is the SMS Blucher, the WWI German Armoured Cruiser that was sunk at the Battle of Dogger Bank.


A little more effort has paid off. Its not of the quality of the ships I purchased off eBay. But it does make the ships stand out more at this scale.


I need to add smoke to the funnels. But before I do this, I am experimenting on just how to make the appropriately coloured "cole smoke" out of cotton wool. I would love to also add a mast to the model but think this would be too flimsy and easily damaged, so I may not.


I plan to go back to the ships I have done already and add more detail to them. But for now, the extra effort has paid off in my view.